Music design and animatic of JTU

When we finished the storyboard, its kinda like a music video shows in the club. So I decide to do the music first. I divided the music into three parts. At the start of our project, I prefer not to add the music, with only the sound effect of the birdsong and wings moving will be enough. The music will start when the bird jumps off the platform and fly into the unknown. This part is very excited and with a very quick rhythm which reminds me of movie whiplash. I extremely love the drumbeat in that movie so I want to do something similar. But electric style is also suitable for the project I think. So I try them both in the Garage band(music-making application on iPad) and I find that the drumbeat is so strong and I couldn’t find a suitable melody for it. So I go with the style of the electric songs. A very deep bass sound also has a very strong effect and it works well with the drumbeats which are not that fast.

This is the drumbeats I chooses for the basic tone.

This part will end til the bird reached the bright entrance. I think the music of this part is playing in a wild and soft place which will have the echo. So I chose this melody for the base tone.

The last thing is finding the suitable melody for these two basic beat and melody.

When I edit the animatic with the finishing music it’s really a good experience. When I arrange the pictures to fit with the music, the animatic shows strong rhythm. It’s Different from the projects I did before, we usually add music when the animatic finished. I think it really depends on what kind of animation you do. The link of the animatic: https://vimeo.com/427666651 password: MACA