Some thoughts of grad film.

An idea came to me after I watched this animation.

This animation really inspired me, both the story and the art style. It describes the journey of a man who suddenly met a car accident and died. He met death manager and ask for an answer. It’s not just a simple story, it discusses not just this man’s whole life also the other people’s. And it talks about the circle of people’s life so it’s a bit deep. The style of this work is really beautiful. Every scene has a well-designed composition and colour tone like illustrations.

background design in the film
nice composition

Also, the design of the death manager makes me feel its power because of the action of this character extremely fits its personality. It is powerful, seems to know the rule about this world and it shows them to this man, and to the audience as well.

powerful death manager

I find that only use the colour blocks to create characters is a nice choice. It seems smoother than the character with an outline and it may save some times for the cleanup job. I’m considering to do the grad film in this way.

My idea inspired by this film is, I also want to tell a story that happened after a man’s death and it is just a story not a discussion about the death itself. This man doesn’t want to leave his world because he made some mistakes before and he so regrets about it because he hurts someone. He begging the death to let him fix it otherwise he won’t go. So the death gives him another chance. I didn’t finish the end yet. The point is I want this story to be this man’s misunderstanding, he will find even he fix this mistake nothing will change. I want to express people should look forward and keep going.